Washington’s cash flow woes
- The longer the state waits to address the current cash deficit and revenue shortfall, the more expensive it will be. The Lens, 8/11/20
Opinion: Yes to special session: Legislature needs its say in pandemic budgeting
- Responding to financial situations as they arise is just good fiscal policy Yakima Herald, 8/3/20
- We have a precedence of the Legislature doing the exact opposite in the 2009 financial crisis, The Daily Chronicle, 8/3/20
State shouldn’t wait to fix COVID budget problems | Guest Opinion
- Severe budget reduction traditionally derives from legislative action…, The Tri-City Herlad, 7/16/20
Washington GOs go competitively
- Washington, the first state to report COVID-19 cases, ran with (an approximately) $650 million competitive deal, The Bond Buyer, 7/14/20
Washington note deal hits a glitch
- Washington remains highly rated by credit rating agencies, The Bond Buyer, 7/8/20
Editorial: Celebrate America’s social contract by being a grownup
- I contend that a call for an emergency legislative session should take place as soon as possible, Chinook Observer, 7/6/20
Will Washington really punt budget action until January?
- “This type of severe budget reduction traditionally derives from legislative action…”, Cheney Free Press, 7/10/20
- “I contend that a call for an emergency legislative session should take place as soon as possible…”, Washington Policy Center, 7/3/20
Politicians get pay raises, state workers get furloughs
- Davidson said he will steer his into the state Budget Stabilization Account, Seattle Weekly, 7/2/20
- It is crucial for the financial health of the state that we save in the good times for the bad times, Everett Herald, 7/2/20
State Treasurer Duane Davidson responds to budget shortfalls
- Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson calls for special session, Washington State Wire, 6/23/20
- Davidson calls for special session, Newshub.us, 6/23/20
State faces $4.5 billion budget shortfall
- State Treasurer Duane Davidson estimated would lose $2.9 billion in 2020, The Lens, 6/19/20
Will The Fed Rescue State And City Budgets If Congress Won’t?
- The program’s above market ‘penalty rate’ makes the MLF a non-starter, Forbes, 6/16/20
- Will The Fed Rescue State And Town Budgets If Congress Won’t?, SFB Brands, 6/16/20
- High rates are leading cities and states to avoid the Fed’s MLF, Global Financial Tips, 6/16/20
- ‘penalty rate’ makes the MLF a non-starter for the state, The Bigger Wallet, 6/16/20
- The MLF in its current form will not help many state and local budgets, USNewsRank.com, 6/16/20
Economic forecast released; officials urge special session
Fed Sees $500 Billion Muni Backstop Work Even Before Loans Made
- Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson said in a statement on Monday that the rates were a “non-starter for the state”, Bloomberg, 5/18/20
- Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson said in a statement on Monday that the rates were a “non-starter for the state”, Yahoo Finance, 5/18/20
State Treasurer creates savings by refunding bonds
- State Treasurer creates savings by refunding bonds, Newshub U.S. 4/23/20
- The Treasurer’s Office sold $410.7 million dollars of refunding bonds, producing over $50.5 million dollars in debt service savings, Washington State Wire 4/23/20
Deep Dive: Recreational Marijuana Tax Revenue in the United States
- The vast majority of the tax revenue generated by legalization goes toward a healthcare fund (page 9), Crush the CPA 4/21/20
Be wary of capital gains tax | Guest Opinion
- State Treasurer Duane Davidson has repeatedly stated why not having an income tax is positive for Washington, Tri-City Herald 4/20/20
State treasurer reduces service fee to all-time low
- Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson announced this week a reduction to the state’s treasury service fee., Washington State Wire 4/15/20
- This is the second time in less than a year that the Treasurer lowered the fee, Newshub U.S.
Big Utah cash pool puts brakes on corporate debt that juiced its yields
As economic activity shifts, recession questions emerge
- Davidson: This windfall of additional revenue is a one-time event that cannot be relied upon to happen again, The Lens 3/18/20
Treasurer asks Inslee to veto state bank study
- State Treasurer Duane Davidson is asking Inslee to veto that provision in the budget, The Lens 3/18/20
To spend or save? What to do with additional state revenues
- Washington State Treasurer Says Keep Hands Off Windfall, Chief Investment Officer 3/3/20
- What to do with Expected Additional State Revenues, The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin 3/2/20
- Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson argued we should save the money for later, The Stranger 2/28/20
- Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson’s op-ed on the fate of hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars, The Tri-City Herald 2/27/20
- Treasurer Duane Davidson advised lawmakers to try to not spend all of $1.5 billion in additional tax collections, The Daily Herald of Everett 2/27/20
Second-half surge spurred Far West volume in 2019
- Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson has been recommending the state reduce the amount of debt it issues, The Bond Buyer 2/27/20
GOP senators: Help the private sector tackle homelessness
- Treasurer Duane Davidson on Wednesday advised lawmakers to try to not spend all of $1.5 billion in additional tax collections, HeraldNet 2/27/20
Wasteful budget dust: State bank and dam breaching studies
- Having repeatedly failed to pass bills authorizing a state bank, lawmakers instead have been funding numerous studies, The Washington Policy Center 2/26/20
State Treasurer visits his hometown of carnation to discuss financial picture
- He discussed issues around debt, saving and financial literacy with Valley 104.9’s Heather Stark, The Weekly 2/26/20
State treasurer worries about Rainy Day Fund
- Duane Davidson speaks on Peninsula, The Peninsula Daily News 2/13/20
A heady bond market is primed to absorb Washington’s competitive GO deal
- Demand for high-quality tax-exempt bonds puts the Washington State Treasurer’s office in the comfort zone, The Bond Buyer 2/6/20
Bellingham City Council joins the public banking conversation
- Proposed source of capital would be to dip into the State Investment Board, The Bellingham Business Journal, 2/5/20
State bank bill receives hearing, members of the Treasurer’s office sign in opposed.
- State bank bill revived, still received similar critiques, The Lens 1/30/20
Washington pushes the time envelope on forward delivery bonds
- With taxable rates lower than the tax-exempts being refunded, issuers still save money, The Bond Buyer, 1/23/20
Washington State Treasurer publishes Debt Affordability Study
- State Treasurer releases new study on the state’s debt, Washington State Wire, 1/16/20
Treasurer releases state debt limit report
- The Washington State Treasurer’s Office has submitted a report showing annual state debt service is $381 million below the constitutional limit, The Lens, 1/6/20
Transit Agency to continue collecting tax repealed by Washington initiative
- Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson mentioned for stating the state has no financial obligation to repay Sound Transit bonds , The Bond Buyer, 11/25/19
Guest Opinion: Spokane Prop 2 would stop a local income tax
- Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson also agrees the lack of an income tax is an important advantage to the people of the state. 10/7/19, The Spokesman-Review
An income tax is not in our best interest
- Viewpoint – The quarterly magazine of the Washington Policy Center (Page 5), Washington Policy Center, 10/21/19
- Treasurer Davidson explores how income tax proposals link to state debt, Washington Policy Center, 9/18/19
- An income tax is not in our best interest, Tri-City Herald, 9/19/19
- State Treasurer: “time to change our spending habits…”, Opportunity Washington, 9/20/19
Discussing Washington state finances and tax structure
Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson on capital gains taxes in the state and other legislative issues.
The Bottom Line – KONA Radio, 9/17/2019
Capital gains income tax proposals loom next session
Washington Bond Rating Upgraded by Credit Rating Organization
- Washington state’s bond and credit rating given by Moody’s Investor Services has been upgraded, Nisqually Valley News, 8/29/19
- Washington state’s bond and credit rating given by Moody’s Investor Services has been upgraded, The Daily Chronicle, 8/29/19
Washington gets historic credit rating bump
In Basket: Erhiza Rivera named assistant treasurer by state Treasurer Duane Davidson
Washington gets an upgrade to triple-A
It’s the first Moody’s upgrade since 1997 for the state.
The Bond Buyer, 8/23/19
Topper to host reception for State Treasurer Davidson
Treasurer Davidson is making a stop at Clark County’s offices.
The Columbian , 8/15/19
State treasurer speaks at courthouse
Treasurer Davidson met Wahkiakum County officials and citizens and comment on issues with which his office must address.
The Wahkiakum County Eagle , 8/1/19
State treasurer to visit Cathlamet
He will discuss some of the programs of the Office of the State Treasurer aimed at helping local governments and the citizens they serve.
The Wahkiakum County Eagle , 7/18/19
Reflections of Leadership by Duane Davidson, CPA
Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
The Washington CPA, 7/16/19
In Basket: New Assistant State Treasurer
Erhiza Rivera was sworn in recently as assistant state treasurer.
Yakima Herald, 7/14/19
Treasurer Davidson discusses cannabis banking reform and safety concerns on TVW
State Treasurer Looks To Empower Washingtonians Through Education
State Treasurer to Address Republican Women’s Group
The Republican Women of Grant County
Columbia Basin Herald , 6/10/19
Seattle’s illegal income tax – Round 3
What’s at stake is whether the courts will allow income tax proponents to bypass the people and the constitution
Washington Policy Center, 6/5/19
Time to let marijuana businesses deal with banks
Let cannabis businesses open bank accounts
Support is building for federal legislation to allow banks to work with legal marijuana companies.
The Spokesman-Review, 6/2/19
Legitimate businesses in states that have approved cannabis should be allowed to operate as other companies do
Cannabis industry should have access to banks
Let cannabis businesses take their money to banks
Drawbacks to creating state banks and problems with proposed changes to pension funds
State Treasurer Duane Davidson discusses why a state bank is not right for Washington.
Skagit Community Radio KSVR-FM 91.7, 5/11/19
State Treasurer on Saturday Morning Live
As Washington’s custodian of public funds, Treasurer Davidson touches on state debt, revenues, the Legislative session and more.
Saturday Morning Live, KGMI News/Talk 790, 5/4/19
Washington state Senate OKs plan to extend I-405 tolls, with revenue used to pay back bonds
Banking laws must change amid cannabis acceptance
Washington finances, projected fund balances and more
State Treasurer Duane Davidson discusses legislative bills and the finances of the State.
The Bottom Line – KONA Radio, 4/15/2019
State Treasurer to speak at Local Lincoln Day Dinner
Columbia County Republicans will host Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson at its Lincoln Day Dinner and Fundraiser
Daily Journal of Commerce, 4/4/2019
New state directory for all grants, loans
State Treasurer Duane Davidson’s office created an online directory of over 130 programs offered by state agencies.
Daily Journal of Commerce, 4/3/2019
How prepared is Washington for a recession?
For the good of the state…
State expects $850 million revenue boost over next 28 months
Two Years into Office, Washington Treasurer Duane Davidson Advances Public Funds, Financial Education Initiatives
Treasurer Wants to Reform Cannabis Banking
The best way to ensure public safety when it comes to the marijuana industry is to bring it out of the shadows.
The Seattle Times, 3/7/2019
Treasurer Davidson Opposes State Bank, Promotes Existing Programs
Washington Treasurer Wants State to Ease Off on Debt Issuance
Treasurer Davidson Launches Online Tutorials
Davidson, through the State Treasurer’s website, is trying to promote financial literacy
Yakima Herald, 1/29/2019
Washington state ranks sixth in nation for per capita state debt
Doug Lasher retires after more than three decades as Clark County treasurer
Now state treasurer, Davidson said the two developed a close friendship.
The Columbian, 1/3/2019
Treasurer Opposes Public Bank
State Should Issue Less Debt
Washington Treasurer Manages State Bond Sales. Now he Wants Less, Bloomberg, 4/2/2018
Saving Now Could Help in Future
Treasurer warns of raiding rainy day fund, The Lens, 3/30/2018
State Needs to Pay Down Debt
The Everett Herald Net Editorial Board makes a case for paying down debt.
Editorial: State needs to begin paying down its bond debt, Herald Net, 3/2/2018
Use Windfall to Pay Down Debt
The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin Editorial Board argues that paying down state debt with windfall is fiscally smart and responsible.
State windfall should be used to pay down debt, Walla Walla Union-Bulletin, 2/26/2018
State Should put Excess Revenue Towards Debt
A series of national and local newspapers ran an Associated Press article regarding Treasurer Davidson’s position on what the state should do with the excess revenue windfall.
- Treasurer: Washington should put income boost toward debt, Associated Press, 2/23/2018
- Treasurer: Washington should put income boost toward debt, King 5 News, 2/23/2018
- Treasurer: Washington Should Put Income Boost Toward Debt, U.S. News, 2/22/2018
- Treasurer: Washington should put income boost toward debt, Yakima Herald, 2/22/2018
- Treasurer: Washington should put income boost toward debt, The Olympian, 2/22/2018
- Treasurer: Washington should put income boost toward debt, The News & Observer, 2/22/2018
TVW Interview: The Impact, State Treasurer Weights in on State Debt and a Proposal to Tap State Reserves
The Impact, TVW, 1/10/2018
Leave the State’s Raining Day Fund Alone
The Tri-City Herald Editorial Board speaks out against using state reserves.
Our Voice: It’s not raining hard enough to dip into state reserves, Tri-City Herald, 1/7/2018
High Debt Should Be a Concern
The Walla Wall Union-Bulletin Editorial Board takes a look at a recent interview the State Treasurer conducted and has some thoughts about Washington’s debt.
Washington’s debt level a cause for concern, Walla Walla Union-Bulletin, 12/29/2017
Be Mindful of Debt
Why every Washington Resident ‘owes’ $2,717, Tri-City Herald, 12/26/2017
Why Financial Literacy is Important to Farm Workers
Davidson: Financial Literacy Must Be Taught To Farm Workers, Washington AG Network, 12/19/2017
TWV Interview: Inside Olympia, Reviewing Treasurer Davidson’s First Year in Office
Inside Olympia, TVW, 12/14/2017
Washington State Treasurer’s Office Saves Almost $70 Million in Debt Service Costs
State Treasurer Issues Advance Refunding Bonds Ahead of Congressional Tax Reform, Washington State Wire, 12/1/2017
Washington State Advance Refunding Nov. 2017
Washington state will get advance refunding deal in before year’s end, Bond Buyer, 11/28/2017
Treasurer Tours Skills Center
“Washington State Treasurer Tours CB Tech” Columbia Basin Herald, 8/21/17
Bond Buyer Cites OST’s Capital Budget Explainer
Cited by Bond Buyer is our website’s “Insight” section explainer on what it means – and doesn’t mean – that Washington state lawmakers adjourned in July after passing an operating budget but no new capital budget. “Washington State’s Capital Budget Conundrum,” Bond Buyer, 8/3/17
Careful On Debt, Treasurer Warns
“Raise Your Drink To State’s Financial State, But Watch Out For The Hangover,” Tacoma News Tribune, 7/8/17
Treasurer, Other Committee Members Fine-Tune GET
“GET College Plan Now Back In Line With Yearly Tuition Costs,” Seattle Times 7/7/17
Sounding A Fiscal Warning, On Budget Impasse
“Budget Stalemate Puts State’s Financial Reputation At Risk,” Seattle Times, guest op-ed by State Treasurer Duane Davidson, 6/21/17.
“Budget Stalemate Puts State’s Financial Reputation At Risk,” republished op-ed, Washington State Wire, 6/21/17.
Promoting Financial Education, In Yakima Visit
“Best Lesson on Financial Literacy Found Here in Yakima,” Yakima Herald-Republic (editorial), 5/24/17
“State Treasurer Looks at Junior Achievement to Promote Financial Literacy,” Yakima Herald-Republic, 5/18/17
Politics Needs New Blood – And Youth Is No Barrier
Adapted from his keynote speech in the State House of Representatives to the 70th YMCA Youth Legislature, Treasurer Davidson wrote a guest commentary that was published in numerous newspapers.
- Treasurer Duane Davidson Keynote to YMCA 70th Youth Legislature, TVW, 5/3/17
- Politics Needs New Blood – And Youth Is No Barrier, Washington State Wire, 5/9/17
- Politics Needs New Blood And Youth Is No Barrier, Kitsap Sun, 5/9/17
- Politics Needs New Blood And Youth Is No Barrier, Bainbridge Island Review, 5/9/17
- Politics Needs New Blood And Youth Is No Barrier, UW Daily, 5/12/17
- How The Younger Generations Can Make A Difference In Politics, Sunday Yakima Herald, 5/14/17
- Politics Needs New Blood, And Youth Is No Barrier, Covington/Maple Valley-Black Diamond Reporter, 5/23/17
- Politics Needs New Blood, And Youth Is The Best Answer, Renton Reporter, 5/23/17
Student Financial Education Is Key, Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson Testifies
Steps to help ensure college students have a clearer understanding of student loan debt, and other ABCs of personal finance are increasingly warranted, State Treasurer Duane Davidson said to Washington State House lawmakers in committee testimony.
Two Higher Education Bills Passed By Senate Sit In House Committee, Daily Evergreen, 3/24/17
Washington State Treasurer Duane Davidson Hails National Award For Financial Reporting
A national organization has awarded the Treasurer’s Office with special recognition for going above and beyond, in the preparation of its annual Comprehensive Annual Financial Report on the state’s Local Government Investment Pool. Guest article, Washington State Wire, 3/17/17
TVW Interview with New Washington State Treasurer Duane A. Davidson
On TVW’s “Inside Olympia,” host Austin Jenkins sat down in early 2017 with newly elected State Treasurer Duane Davidson and Superintendent of Public Instruction Chris Reykdal, 1/26/17. Click here for video.