Economic Resources - Indicators of Change
There are a lot of things happening in the financial markets these days. Everyday newspapers and television report on developments in our financial markets and the changes our economy faces. Becoming informed about these issues will help you keep on top of decisions about the stimulus plan and other policies designed to solidify our economy. Click on the links below to learn more about changes in the market and analysis of national and international economic issues.
Market and Business News
- EDGAR, a service of the Securities and Exchange Commission, provides information about corporations and their current financial statements including compensation and liabilities.
- Puget Sound Business Journal provides news from around Western Washington.
- Interested in learning more about public finance? Bond Buyer is a daily newspaper dedicated to news about the sale of bonds.
- Want the latest news on the stock market? Bloomberg provides news updates and information 24 hours a day.
- Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB) is a resource dedicated to educating investors and the public in municipal bonds and securities.
- EMMA (Electronic Municipal Market Access) is maintained by the MSRB and lists all issued municipal bonds by agency including official statements and trade activity. As of June, 2009 the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requires all initial and continuing disclosure to be filed through this site.
- NPR's Planet Money blog is a multimedia resource dedicated to the global economy.
There are three ratings agencies that provide state and local governments with scores that reflect the credit quality and likelihood to repay a bond. Click one of the links below to learn more about each rating agency.
Financial Officer Associations
The Office of the State Treasurer is a member of several different financial officer associations. Click on one of the links below to learn about each of these organizations.
- Government Finance Officer Association
- National Association of State Treasurers
- National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers
US Economy and Stimulus Plan
For an overview of the US economy and President Obama's stimulus plan, visit:
- Economic Report of the President
- The President's Council of Economic Advisors
- U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis
- President Obama's Federal Economic Recovery Act