State Treasurer Announces Buy Washington Bonds Opportunity
Contact: Chris McGann 360-902-9033
July 05, 2012 - State Treasurer James McIntire today announced a new opportunity for Washington residents to participate in the "Buy Washington Bonds," program. This program, which began last year, allows local investors to support state highway projects, jobs and the economy by purchasing State of Washington Bonds.
Buy Washington Bonds gives Washington investors priority access to Washington Bonds on Monday, July 16, 2012 -- in advance of a bond offering to institutional investors later that week.
- "The Buy Washington Bonds program puts individual investors in our state ahead of big banks to buy our bonds," McIntire said. "It’s a chance to put Main Street before Wall-Street and invest where it matters most, right here at home."
Washington Bonds are being issued to fund state and local highway improvements such as:
- Lane and bridge construction in Snohomish County
- Construction of the SR 99 bored tunnel
- Lane construction on I-405
- Construction of HOV lanes on I-5 in Tacoma
- Improvements to a section of I-90 near Snoqualmie Pass
- Lane expansion and bridge construction on US 395
- Connecting arterials in Douglas County to US 2/US 97
This sale will provide access to individual investors and will provide an opportunity for the State to offer bonds that are structured specifically for retail buyers.;
The Bonds pay semi-annual interest and principal will be returned at maturity. Interest payments are exempt from federal income tax. Bonds will be in denominations of $5,000.
The Bonds have received ratings of AA+ from Fitch and Standard & Poor's and Aa1 from Moody's.
For more information about Washington bonds and the Preliminary Official Statement, visit the State Treasurer’s website at www.tre.wa.gov. The site includes links to brokers who can facilitate purchases of the Bonds.
"Washington bonds are good for highways, good for jobs and good for the State."
For more information visit the Office of the State Treasurer’s website at www.tre.wa.gov